Ham and Swiss Sliders are stacked with ham and melty Swiss cheese then smothered with a honey mustard glaze for a truly special sandwich. These Hawaiian roll sliders are perfect for tailgating and absolutely disappear at parties! They really couldn’t be easier to make, either. Just 10 minutes prep and 10 minutes in the oven and you’re done!
You can use any cheese you like, but ham and Swiss are like Anne Shirley and Gilbert Blythe–they’re meant to be together. It also doesn’t hurt that Ohio is the #1 producer of Swiss cheese and home to two award-winning Swiss cheeses–Guggisberg Baby Swiss and Pearl Valley Mild Swiss!
Now let’s talk about this sauce, because it’s what really sets these Hawaiian roll sliders apart from the competition. I kept the tangy Dijon mustard and butter (because buttery Hawaiian rolls are one of life’s greatest pleasures), but I ditched the Worcestershire and onion powder in favor of whole grain mustard, honey and garlic for a hint of sweetness and bite.
If you’ve never had whole grain mustard before, you’re in for a treat! This mustard has a robust flavor but is far less vinegary than typical mustard. It’s a great gateway mustard for folks who may not like traditional yellow mustard (that was me!).
This honey mustard glaze turned out even better than I imagined. The sauce drips down the sides of the sliders, coating every nook and cranny with its sweet and tangy goodness.
After a turn through the oven, the sliders are toasty and slightly crisp on the outside, but soft, melty, and just a tad sticky on the inside. I dare you to eat just one!
If you’re like me and can’t get enough melty Swiss cheese, try my Smoked Swiss & Mushroom Grilled Cheese, too! It sneaks in a serving of veggies.
Hawaiian Roll Ham and Swiss Sliders
- 10 minutes
- 10 minutes
- 20 minutes
- 12 sliders
For the Glaze:
5 tablespoons salted butter, melted
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard (see notes)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey
2 garlic cloves, minced
For the Ham and Swiss Sliders:
12 Hawaiian rolls in one sheet, sliced in half
8 thick slices Swiss cheese
1 lb. thick sliced ham, cut into slider-sized squares
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a rimmed sheet pan or baking dish with cooking spray.
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Place the bottom half of the slider rolls on the baking sheet. Layer the Swiss cheese slices evenly over top, followed by the ham slices. These will cut easier if you align the ham slicer over each individual slider bun.
- Place the other half of the Hawaiian rolls on top. Pour the glaze over top of the rolls, and use a pastry brush to make sure it's evenly coating the sides and top of the rolls.
- Cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes, then uncover and bake an additional 3-5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the tops are toasted and slightly crisp. Serve immediately.
Notes: Whole grain mustard can usually be found in the condiment store of your local mustard. It may also be called stone ground mustard. You should be able to see the little seedy grains in the mustard. I prefer regular whole grain mustard, not whole grain Dijon.